So you booked a photography session (yay!) and now it’s time to decide on a location. If you live near Appleton, WI you are in luck because there are a TON of great locations close by. Not only are there a lot of location choices, but there’s a lot of diversity around the Fox Cities that create unique family portraits.
Let’s break down the big location decision based on a few criteria. First, decide either indoor or outdoor. Indoor photos are great for lifestyle photography, like newborn or family in home sessions. They are also perfect for those spring sessions when the weather isn’t quite warm enough yet or the flowers haven’t bloomed outside. Also, think about places that are meaningful to you are your family. Thinking outside the box not only leads to unique photos, but it’s just more fun!
- A greenhouse (great for spring photos)
- A library (Kaukauna Library has lots of big windows/natural light and it’s a beautiful building for both indoor and outdoor photos)
- A coffee shop (they tend to have big windows for natural light and there’s coffee!!!)
- Your house (my favorite location for families because it helps tell your story at this season of your life and kids are most comfortable to be themselves in their own home)
If outdoor photos are more your style, consider either nature or city options. It also helps to plan an activity you could do with your family during your photos. Activities don’t have to be something extraordinary. Think of taking a nature walk, apple picking, or visiting the Children’s Farm. This better engages you with your kids and tells a story. Below are some of my favorite options for outdoor locations near Appleton, WI.
- Scheig Center Gardens at Memorial Park, Appleton, WI
- Bruce B. Purdy Nature Preserve, Appleton, WI (gorgeous trails, tall grass, wildflowers, open rolling fields, woods)
- Heesakker Park, Little Chute, WI (a bridge overlooking the Fox River, paved trails, open grassy areas)
- 1000 Islands Environmental Center, Kaukauna, WI
- High Cliff State Park, Sherwood, WI
- Doty Park, Neenah, WI
- Riverside Park, Neenah, WI
- Smith Park, Menasha, WI
- City Park, Appleton, WI
- Sunset Park, Kimberly, WI
- Lutz Park, Appleton, WI
- Newberry Trail, Appleton, WI
- Downtown Appleton (murals)
- Downtown Kaukauna (small park close by with flowers, large mural)
- Downtown Neenah
- Grignon Mansion, Kaukauna, WI
- Lawerence University, Appleton, WI
I know the choices can be overwhelming. I get it because I’ve been there! Try to take it one decision at a time and narrow it from there. These are my favorite Appleton photography locations, but ultimately the connection between you and your family is what’s most important.
Make sure to check back on this post, as I will be updating it with more photos/locations as I shoot at more locations!